Wednesday, October 28, 2009

One, Two, Dancing With You

My 12-year old son was diagnosed with scoliosis at age one. We've monitored it closely ever since. This past August was his most recent check-up. It was the last week of summer. We had to travel from our home in Southern Utah to Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City for the appointment. My four kids and I enjoyed the drive while listening to some of our favorite tunes. Mindy Gledhill is one of our favorites so when her song "Dancing With You" came on, my 12-year old, who was sitting solo in the very back seat, started singing along with Mindy.

A moment later my phone was vibrating in my pocket. "Hello?" On my phone I heard my son serenading me from his phone in the back seat. "One, two, dancing with you. Oh and three, four, my face touches yours. Five, six, seven - oh heaven - eight, nine, ten comes too soon when I'm singing and dancing with you." I must have had a grin similar to the Cheshire cat. I thought he was hilarious and loved looking in the rear view to see him singing and swaying as he sung to me.

The next day we went to his check up. As we sat in the waiting room I told him he would never have to wear a brace as he had had his curves since birth and they hadn't changed yet. 20 minutes later I was trying to keep myself from falling off my chair as the Dr. told us his curves had indeed worsened and he would now need to wear a plastic body brace until he was done growing - so maybe for the next six years.

I fought back tears for my son. I didn't want him to think it was time to panic. We left the hospital and I told him of all the things that could be worse, then we drove in silence for a time. Again my phone began to vibrate in my pocket. This time a text. It read: "One, two, dancing with you. Oh and three, four, my face touches yours. Five, six, seven - oh heaven - eight, nine ten comes too soon when I'm singing and dancing with you." Cue the tears that now flowed unstoppable the rest of the way home and into the next two days.

Love can negotiate anything.

2 comments:

  1. my heart is so warm. this
    is absolutely beautiful. my
    oldest (and my baby) is only
    10 months old.. i pray a lot of
    thiings, but after praying for his
    salvation, i pray for the
    relationships my husband and
    i will have with him.

    it sounds like you two have really
    got it going on :) so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My! I feel your pain. My son was diagnosed with the same when he was 4. Same beginning story, that we would watch the curve and for 9 years it did not change but very very minimal degree. Then when he was13and it had taken a giant turn for the bad. Surgery or brace was recommended! What! We did opt for surgery and he is 1 year post opt and doing great! I love your post!

    ReplyDelete