Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Human Touch

Our family uses the word "mug" as a verb, not meaning we physically assault each other, but that we physically give love one to another. A "mug" usually consists of a hug and a kiss. I often tell my husband or kids that I need to "mug" on them. Mugging is something I like to do when I'm putting them to bed or waking them up in the morning.

I was thinking about this because each morning and night when I'm helping my boy put his brace on, I take a few minutes to mug on him and his back. I get out the lotion and rub his back down to help with the stiffness he gets from being locked up in a brace all day and night. It has turned into a small ray of sunshine in the gloom that is the brace. It is a moment we connect and I enjoy giving him a little relief.

My mother is actually the person who has taught me the importance of the human touch. My father passed away of "early on-set Alzheimer's" at the age of 55. He was in a care facility the last two months of his life. During this time my mother would spend evenings at the care facility giving hand and foot massages, not only to my father but to all the residents of the facility. She knew that physical attention and love can penetrate deep, even to someone who is mentally unaware. I know that she is right.

I believe the human touch is slipping away in a world of technology where we can conduct all our business without even leaving our house. Kids are losing the ability to interact socially because all they do is text. This is why I like to look at name tags. When I'm getting my Coke fix at Wendys I can say, "Thanks Carlos! You're doing a great job, keep up the good work." My kids beg me not to do this, and even though it's not a physical touch, it's a connection and I like it.

So my negotiation du jour will be to find more opportunities to mug!

2 comments:

  1. loved this and yes human touch is so very imporant ... thanks for remembering. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO you to do that to the guys at Wendy's and I can just hear the little Clarks wincing each time. My mom used to answer the phone at home, "Happy Holidays!" - we'd all burst into spontaneous, embarrassed laughter and hope it wasn't one of our friends on the other end of the phone. But is it wrong to spread a little cheer? Of course not. And now I'm embarrassing my kids just the same!

    ReplyDelete