Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Memory Lane

Recently I've been listening to the all-Christmas radio station. I love it because I can hear all the old classics I know from when I was a kid. One of my favorites is "Walking In A Winter Wonderland" by Johnny Mathis.

And when I listen to old Christmas songs, I remember that Johnny Mathis was my Dad's favorite singer. I grew up in the 80's listening to Madonna and Boy George. My Dad would always say to me, "Can they sing Moon River?" I thought he was ridiculous until I grew up and had kids and understood what he was talking about. There is just something about a classic sound. No synthesizers, no gimmicks.

And thinking about being a kid reminds me of the Christmas when we had a flocked tree that was decorated with only red lights. The ornaments were little mirrors, different shapes, that my mom glued red ric-rac on around the edges.

And thinking about that Christmas tree will make me hungry for the homemade treats my mom used to make (and still does make with my kids today). Divinity, fudge and suckers flavored with cinnamon, butterscotch and peppermint. Yum.

And my mouth watering will make me want to run to the corner gas station for a treat.

And on my way I hear Johnny Mathis singing "Walking In A Winter Wonderland."

Click here to enjoy it for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crXJ81GjCWY&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment