Friday, December 11, 2009

My Love Affair

I'd warn you not to tell my husband that I love another man, but he already knows. Lean in real close and I'll tell you his name. And no, it's not Tiger Woods! Are you ready? It's the sandman. Oh how I love the sandman.

Each night at nine o'clock the sandman and I have a date. I look forward to it all day. My kids have shamelessly outed me to friends and family. They tell how I start getting ready for this date shortly after dinner has been cleared from the table. Preparations include donning my favorite pajama bottoms. They are red flannel with wiener dogs and they were a hand-me-down from my husband's cousin. SUU t-shirt and wool socks come next. My hair gets pulled back in a ponytail and make-up gets washed off with Vaseline since I'm too cheap to purchase eye make-up remover. On a side note, I've been using Vaseline to take off my mascara for 25 years. Just last night I noticed a warning on the jar that said, "Do not get into eyes." Who knew?

As the evening passes by I anxiously check the clock like a kindergartner on Christmas Eve. I grow giddy as the nine o'clock hour nears. When the time finally arrives I order children to gather for prayer. Hugs, kisses and expressions of love are given. Then that's it, I'm done. No more questions, no more homework help, no more phone calls. We crank up our fan for white noise and the sandman and I are finally reunited (and it feels so good). We stroll off together and in moments visions of sugar plums are dancing in my head.

If I've been careful with my beverage consumption, my date with the sandman usually lasts about eight hours. Then we've got to part ways for 16 hours. Oh the long, long 16 hours. So here's to you, Mr. Sandman. I hope our love affair never ends.

2 comments:

  1. Are you telling me that you go to bed at 9PM and get up at 5AM??? I thought once I got the babies sleeping through the night, the sleep schedule would return to normal. I did not read this in "What to Expect When You're Expecting!" I want a refund.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to bed regardless of the state of my teenagers: it's a recently acquired skill for me, but necessary as all get-out! Why didn't anyone tell me that I could do this before? It goes a long way toward feeling less like a hostage.

    ReplyDelete