Thursday, December 17, 2009

Trials

The other night my boy lay on my bed waiting for me to strap his brace on for the night. This means he lays face down, head turned to the right, left arm over his head, right arm down at his side. It's then my job to feel carefully for the spot just between the bottom of his ribs and the top of his hips so he's comfortable (if that's possible) in his brace. The last step requires I pull three Velcro straps tight so they reach a predetermined mark on the brace. I don't know if I'll ever be able to reach that mark, but I'm trying. Call me crazy, but I have a hard time cinching my son's shoulder blades together.

While we were going through this procedure, he asked me if I thought this was the biggest trial he would ever have to go through in life. I sighed, not wanting to be the bearer of bad news. I finally mustered the courage to tell him if that were true then he would be the luckiest boy in the wide world. I explained that though physical trials are indeed very difficult, it's often the trials that affect us emotionally that are the hardest. Then I told him how my Dad always used to say to me: That which does not destroy us, will make us stronger.

Personally, I feel trials are like exercise. The more you have, the easier they get. A positive attitude is most definitely helpful, which is why I adore my son for not complaining about the brace. And trials are a lot easier to negotiate if you're wearing comfortable clothes and some cool sneakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment