Tuesday, May 4, 2010

City Slicker

I've lived in small town USA for a little over two years now.  When we moved here I thought to myself:  "we're going to blow in and out of town before anyone knows we were here."  My thought process was heavily influenced by my husband's professional life as a football coach.  As two years are turning into three I've paused for reflection. 

Last night we spent FHE on the red rocks of Washington, Utah watching a stupendous fireworks show.  The cause for such an occasion was Cotton Days.  When I commented that no one does fireworks like Washington, my daughter responded by saying: "That's because all the city has to spend money on is fireworks and little league."  She could be right.  And since fireworks and little league are two things we love the most, that turns out to be a big bonus for us. 

My small town offers me professionals, like doctors and dentists, who treat me like family.  Familiar faces around town are comforting, like Miguel down at Jiffy Lube.  Roads less traveled offer room for exploration and I've come to find that exploration is enlightening.  Hard to believe, but this city slicker is finding much joy in living a small town life.

No comments:

Post a Comment