Monday, May 3, 2010

Life and Death

 My youngest was recently gifted ten dollars in a card from Grandma Judy.  It's a regular occurrence to open the mailbox and find an envelope from Grandma Judy that has smiley faces, love, and cash inside.  The question was clear:  how to spend the money?

After weeks of pondering options, it was decided.  A fish, because a guinea pig was absolutely denied!  A date was selected when we would actually have time in between obligations to make the purchase.  It seemed the obvious choice to go where we go for everything else in our life:  WalMart.  We could get a fish, a loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter.

A big black fish was chosen and named Emperor Kuzco in honor of our very favorite Disney movie "The Emperor's New Groove."  In the movie, the Emperor is turned into a lama.  In real life, our Emperor turned into a fish floating on it's side the morning after we got it.

The Emperor's death led to a great discussion on life and death.  Then we did what we should have done in the first place:  went to an actual pet store where someone could tell us the best choice to make and give us suggestions for sustaining life.

We've kept our new beta fish, named Inca, alive for three days now and we couldn't be more pleased.  Life is good.      

6 comments:

  1. I loved the container of milk, loaf of bread and stick of butter comment! Good luck with your new fish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im4GwUD1UY8

    (sorry, I had to check because the order sounded wrong- I have a good memory)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for being my editor Kelly! Corrections made. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello -- I am a casual reader who found your page from Cjane (I believe). But I too have had Walmart fish that have passed away. They have a policy, apparently, that if the fish dies within a certain amount of time, you can get a refund. I have never tried it, but perhaps you were interested.

    Otherwise, thanks for sharing your life's negotiations :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the new fish. They can be tricky little buggers. I also love the grocery list reference...Sesame Street had a huge impact on me and I still cite things I learned there. And the songs. Don't get me started or I'll be singing Ladybug Picnic ALL DAY. Joe Raposo is a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your fish tips! J-Joe-Jean-and a jelly bean is a favorite Sesame Street song of mine.

    ReplyDelete