Friday, May 7, 2010

Lunch Ladies

Sometime during my last year in Elementary school I was assigned lunch duty.  Lunch duty involved a plastic apron, plastic gloves and a hairnet.  It also involved serving food to others, wiping down tables where other people ate (and spilled), and washing off other people's lunch trays.  There's a smidgen of OCD in me that makes other people's stuff a little unnerving.  Handing out milk at the end of the lunch line was the best gig, but one day I was assigned to serve the green beans.  I can still smell those darn green beans.  Ugh!  It's a fact that I still won't eat green beans to this very day.

My fourth grader was assigned to lunch duty last week.  The OCD bug has filtered down to my children so I felt a twinge of concern.  As it turned out, she LOVED lunch duty.  The responsibility, the feeling she was completing a grown up job, the service to others, the authority.  She didn't even mind scraping the mashed potatoes off the trays.  You go girl!

Here's a shout out to all you lunch ladies.  Your tireless effort to serve up food with ice-cream scoops does not go unnoticed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment