Sunday, July 18, 2010

Soda and Chocolate

 Real Thing Coca-Cola Advertisement Metal Sign
Anyone who knows me knows I have a hankerin for the sweeter things in life.  As proof, I must tell you that once a Relief Society sister called to ask me if I would lead a group of women in early morning exercise.  I respectfully declined the invitation but offered to lead a group of women in the early evening who wanted to eat treats.

My treat of choice for the past 25 years has been soda, Coca Cola to be exact, and chocolate.  Recently, June 10th to be exact, I gave up caffeine and haven't looked back.  It was a healthier choice I felt I had to make.  Chocolate, however, is still on the menu (in moderation of course) and perhaps can even do me some good?

Just to mix things up, I threw caution to the wind while driving through Sonic and mixed my two favorite things:  soda and chocolate.  That's right - Sprite with chocolate flavoring.  And you know what?  Mmmmm, mmmmm, good.  It was very Sprite-tasting with an after taste of chocolate.  Right up my sweet tooth alley.

8 comments:

  1. I would totally join that group! Mmmmmm... Chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can do without the soda, but I do like my cup of coffee in the morning. I may have to try the Sprite with chocolate flavoring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have been hesitant to try that, but now you've got me curious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate to be a party pooper but depending on what chocolate you are eating, there is caffeine o' plenty in most chocolate; the darker the chocolate or fienr quality, the more caffeine as a general rule. Give up coca cola for the high fructose corn syrup (unless of course you have access to coke bottled in Mexico - it's made with sugar) or the empty calories or your religion, but you can't give it up for caffeine unless you are willing to give up chocolate too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. now I am going to have to go on a Sonic run and try a Chocolate Sprite :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous: What's your point?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stating that you "gave up caffeine" implied you wanted to give up caffeine. If your health depends on it, and you are still consuming chocolate, then you are probably still consuming caffeine.

    There are lots of good reasons for giving up Coca Cola® (I have myself in the last year because I am trying to cut high fructose corn syrup out of my diet, plus I reached the age where I can't continue to consume empty calories without it affecting my weight; I do very occasionally have a coke bottled in Mexico), but the concept of coke=no, chocolate=yes can't be made on the basis of caffeine alone. A serving size of Hershey's chocolate syrup has 20% of the caffeine of 12 oz. serving of coke.

    Threading the needle of good health, feeling good, being our best is tough, and gets tougher the older you get. The only point I wanted to make was that caffeine lurks in chocolate - whether it is in flavoring, brownies, candy bars, etc. I remember when one of my daughter's went to college and the girls in the dorm started living on carrot sticks and J@mba Juice concoctions. They were shocked at the weight they gained "eating" healthily. Then they discovered the calories and sugars in those "healthy" beverages, especially in the "bargain" giant ones. Sometimes, it's just confusing. - Carole

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all your comments. I hope eating a little chocolate occasionally (thus moderation) won't equate with draining a Coke each afternoon. Baby steps.

    ReplyDelete