Monday, April 5, 2010

2 for 1

Last week I made a visit to the boys down at Big O because my car was out of alignment and my front right tire was paying the price for it.  I walked in knowing exactly what I needed, an alignment and one tire.  The manager at Big O, John, kindly explained to me that getting an alignment and one tire is unacceptable.  He further explained how an alignment won't work well with one tire, thus two new tires would be required. 

Then it was my turn to explain a few things.  I explained to John that there was certainly no way I would be purchasing two new tires, when all I needed was one.  I stood firm, even as I saw the frustration on John's face as he grew more impatient with me.  Finally he said, "Look, I'm going to give you two tires for the price of one because I'm not doing an alignment with one tire."  I told him, with a smile on my face, that was fine by me. 

So here's my advice to you when you're negotiating car repairs:
  1. Dress classy and walk in acting like you own the place.
  2. Know exactly what you need and don't settle for anything else (unless it's a matter of safety).
  3. Be kind, appreciative, and respectful. 
  4. Get a second opinion.
  5. If you're buying tires, ask if they have any used tires.  I've bought great used tires for 3-times less.
If you're lucky, you might just walk away with two tires for the price of one!

1 comment:

  1. You do need 2 new tires for a safety issue, sorry. And I am a girl but live w a husband who knows his cars.

    ReplyDelete