Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Dear Old Dad

Life with Big Al (Early Alzheimer's) A Caregivers Diary
My dad was the best.  Nicest guy you'd ever meet.  Humble.  Full of love.  How I miss that guy.  He was 53 when we noticed his behavior was a bit strange.  He'd get lost coming home from work, not know how to get familiar places, and forget a lot of things.  Many doctor visits confirmed his diagnosis of Early Onset Alzheimer's. 

It was a difficult diagnosis to come to terms with, especially at such a young age.  Dad called it "Big Al."  He faced it courageously and became my bosom buddy so mom could keep working and provide their income.  For two years we did everything together.  Did I say everything?  I meant EVERYTHING.  It was awesome.  Two years I wouldn't give up for anything.  Difficult?  To say the least.  Rewarding?  More than you will ever know.  At 55 his battle ended and now my bosom buddy is my guardian angel.

Mom wrote a book about "Life with Big Al."  It was her greatest desire, still is, to help others who care for loved ones whose lives have been interrupted by a visit from Big Al.  The book is a diary of dad's decline and ways we coped with it.  It is also a grand expression of love. 

If someone you know or love is negotiating Alzheimer's, feel free to get in touch with the woman I am blessed to call "mom."  You can reach her, and order her book if you like, at her website

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing thing you did! How old were you at the time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was 27 at the time of diagnosis. I had 3 kids at the time.

    ReplyDelete