Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Double Digits


Today my baby hits double digits.  It's five AM right now and she's awake in her room anticipating the excitement the day will bring, but I told her she must go back to sleep for a bit longer.  That's what I like about kids growing up, you can give them instruction and they're capable of following your direction.

I loved when my kids were babies, but to be honest, I couldn't wait for them to be three.  Communication was important to me, still is.  It hurts where?  You ate what?  And I certainly wasn't one to cry when they turned five and I dropped them off for their first day of Kindergarten.  Most likely I did cartwheels to the minivan then caught a chick flick at the matinee.

Don't get me wrong, I adore my children.  I've loved every stage of their growth.  Some stages just make me more nervous than others.  I guess I feel like their self-reliance is a success for me.  What I want most is for them to be able to negotiate life using the skills my husband and I have taught them.    The skills we've worked the hardest to teach are selflessness, respect, kindness, and love.  I'm thankful that my baby girl exemplifies these qualities from day to day.  Come to think of it, she teaches me these skills better than I ever could teach her.  What a blessing these ten years have been. 

4 comments:

  1. "I feel like their self-reliance is a success for me." When I took my "baby" to preschool this morning, she hung up her backpack and headed into the room without looking back, even when I told her good-bye. The teacher shrugged at me. I smiled and gave two thumbs up; this is exactly what I want for my daughter. She knows I'll be back for her in a few hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the self-reliance thing! I love it too! And although I loved my babies too, I'm glad kids don't stay babies forever! I love author Merrilee Boyack's books about how our point as parents is to train them to be adults and not dependent on us!!

    ReplyDelete