Sunday, January 24, 2010

Gray


Here's the thing. I'm going gray. It doesn't really bother me. Honest. I've always embraced the aging process. When I turned 30, I was thrilled. I'll turn 40 this summer and I can't wait. I appreciate the life experience and maturity that comes with age. In fact, I'm looking forward to retirement when I'll wake early, have lunch at Chuck-A-Rama at 11, nap, dinner at Golden Corral at 4, then bed. But I digress.

I don't want to color my hair. I don't want to keep up a color every six weeks. And like I said, I don't mind the gray. But here's the deal, I can't stop plucking out the gray hairs. Have you ever met a gray hair? They're like wire. My gray hairs stick straight out of my curly hair in a very porcupineish sort of way.

Every time I pass a mirror, I'll yank a few grays. Thing is, as soon as I start yanking, 10 more come into view. I can't stop. Pretty soon I've got my tweezers and I'm going to town with them. I find myself late for work, unable to pull myself away from the plucking. It's not an easy task either. Negotiating a gray hair in the mirror is tough. I'll often pull out several healthy brown hairs before I get the culprit I'm looking for, but I'll save my sob story regarding my thin hair for another day.

So I broke down and purchased a Nice N Easy color. Natural, medium, cool brown to be exact. It was the cheapest one I could find at WalMart. My girls helped me pick it out as I held my hair up to each box for a match. It promises me "layers of rich tones and contouring highlights with 100% long-lasting gray coverage." If this is true, and have you ever known an advertiser to lie, I'll be free of my plucking addiction for six weeks. If only I could free myself of my soda addiction with a four dollar magic box from WalMart.

6 comments:

  1. I also have embraced the aging process. If you fight it too much you could have a back-fire on your hands. Seen Madonna's arms?

    I myself am in luck with the greying situation- only one or two grey hairs a year. But thinning is something that is haunting me. There is no way to do that gracefully I am afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dark hair seems tricky. I see some highlights in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least with dark hair you get a have the possibility of beautiful grey hair. I am blonde and blondes do not grey pretty, we get ugly dirty dishwater colored hair.

    I haven't used that brand. I bought, on the advice of 3 of my sisters who were telling me it was time to stop looking like an old hippie, professional hair color and my baby sister who does hair professionally did it for me. Now I'm committed to her coloring my hair for the rest of my life.

    Thinning hair is the worst! I have a receding hairline and it's horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. found your blog on cJane, I think you are a great writer and very entertaining. Good luck with the coloring please let us know how it turns out I would love to not pay $70 for a cut and color every 6 weeks

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could not have put it into better words for me. No one seems to understand why I do NOT to color my hair. I have lighter hair, but it is short and those dang gray hairs stick straight up!!! I'm anxious to know how it goes for you. I do not want to get caught up in the every 6 weeks coloring project either. As it is I have to get it cut that often. Keep us posted. (Oh, and I found you on C jane)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sue :) is so funny that you talk about that I myself have not color my hair in almost three months and boy did the grays decided to come out lol.... I just don't know if I want to go back and start that every six weeks deal again, it's been so nice not to worry about it but man are the grays out there :) Let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete