Thursday, January 21, 2010

Sweet 16 and A Single Parent


On December 30th at 1:06 AM, my oldest daughter officially turned 16. She had a swanky party that night with a cute collection of friends at SPARK while we were visiting Provo for the Christmas break.

On January 4th, at 6:00 AM, she started driver's education. We had to wake at 4:45 to get to the other side of the next town over where her classes were conveniently located.

On January 8th, at 6:00 AM, she got asked out on her first date by an invitation to the Jr. Prom. The gentleman scattered chocolate kisses across the dance room floor where she dances every other morning at six and said, "Since we've already kissed, will you go to Prom with me?"

On January 8th, at 4:00 PM, she got asked out for the second time by another invitation to the Jr. Prom. The gentleman left a pinata on the doorstep which my son was only too happy to take his baseball bat to. When the candy spilled out his name was on a box of Nerds, though I'm sure he's not one. Unfortunately this kind boy had to be turned down. Even though we live in a town highly populated with polygamists, we feel two dates to the Jr. Prom is probably in poor taste.

On January 16th, at 4:30 PM, she found a Prom dress she liked, and since it was only moderately pricey, and very modest and darling, we bought it. It is a classy, short sleeve, black, silk dress with a choice of a black or white sash. We're still deciding.

On January 21st, at 3:00 PM, she became a single mother. Her child development teacher introduced her to her new daughter she named "Ellie." She cries regularly and has to be soothed by an electronic key inserted into her lower back. She woke up ten times in the night to be soothed. Welcome to parenthood.

On January 21st, at 5:30 PM, she got her official drivers license and doesn't like her picture (even though it is beautiful). She is dying for a pink, 1973, Cadillac Deville that is for sale for $800 on a side street near her school. We are trying to get her to reconsider.

On January 22nd, at 5:45 AM, she is waiting for me to take her to dance since she doesn't yet have a pink Cadillac of her own.

3 comments:

  1. Found your blog yesterday via cjane. Love it! I mean I L. O. V. E. love it! You are a fantastic writer! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through Cjane as well, and bookmarked it right away! I loved this post about your daughter. My oldest is 11 1/2 and the years of dates and driving are coming up quickly, too quickly! Thanks for sharing, I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Came to you by way of Cjane. I love this post about your daughter. I love the way you write. I have bookmarked you.

    I am a pink girl (a 52 year old old one:) and I love your daughters choice in cars. Love. It. Oh please buy her the car.

    Blessings, Mari

    ReplyDelete