Sunday, January 31, 2010

Prom


If the prom committee had a suggestion box, I'd suggest they didn't have prom in January. It's like Halloween, once you've put together a magnificent ensemble, you're not really interested in putting your winter coat on over it. Nonetheless it was prom Saturday night and my son and daughter went. Not together, mind you, different groups all together.

The bonus of having two kids go to prom, besides the money you get to spend on a dress, tux, shoes, accessories, boutonnieres and corsages, is the fact that one can report on the other. Like, for example, I can find out how close they were dancing with their dates. I like to hear that there was plenty of daylight between them.

And speaking of daylight, did you know that kids these days go on a day date the day of prom? Well they do. They spend the whole day together, then come home and get gussied up before going to dinner and the dance. I'm glad this wasn't protocol for my high school years. My prom date was a classy guy, and I had a great time, but I'm not sure I would have been thrilled about negotiating a 12-hour date. In fact, I left my lipstick in the car of my prom date and when he called the next day and asked it he could bring it to me, I didn't feel much like hanging out with him again so I told him he was welcome to drop it in my mailbox anytime.

I'm glad my kids had a chance to go to the prom. I guess it's a rite of passage. They're already talking about preference that's coming up. My preference would be to keep the money in the bank, but in the long run I suppose it's better to have my kids sail smoothly down the road of life than it is for me to sail smoothly down I-15.

5 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your blog.
    My oldest is 16 and still waiting to be asked out on her first date. Our prom isn't until April, so we'll see.
    With my prom date, who didn't go to my school, I left his share of the professional pictures in the mailbow for him to pick up!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of having a prom in January. I think the ones around here are still in May. At our schools, they have an after prom back at the school. Then over the weekend sometimes kids go to an amusement park and other activities. It can be an all weekend thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne-so glad to hear that Prom was a success! Loving your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of a Prom in January--maybe the Winter Ball. My kids had Prom in May, and I do remember having all 3 of them going and trying not to flinch at having to spend so much money for one night of fun.

    But it is so worth it all. The fun. The laughing. They all came back to our house for all-night moives and then breakfast which several of the dads all gathered to prepare--I slept in and stayed out of the way appearing when clean-up was ready to begin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog gives me strength and helps me manage and navigate my own teens! Bless you for sharing!
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete