Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Muckus

We have a nickname for my baby girl. It's Muckus. It all came from the time she was just a wee little baby and we talked to her in high pitched voices with nonsense words. For example, "How's my little shmucky moo moo?" And somehow "shmucky moo" turned into "mucky lucky" which eventually turned into Muckus.

One time when Muckus was in first grade we went to her school carnival for fun and games. She happened to be bowling for soda which involves rolling the ball to knock over empty soda cans and if successful, you win a soda. She rolled her ball and when it was so close, but no cigar, I shouted "Oh Muck, you were so close!" It was immediately clear that several people around me had heard me incorrectly and thought I was shouting obscenities at the school carnival. Misunderstandings are sometimes difficult to negotiate.

C Jane happens to call my baby girl "muggles." Not sure if it was Harry Potter influenced or if it's taken from the root word Muckus. And recently "muggles" was reduced to "mugs" which is what I'm calling her these days. And I think that's appropriate seeing as mug is what I like to do with her.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny what we call our children? We spend so much time on naming them something beautiful and unique and then end up using a made up nonsense word to identify them. For some weird reason I would call my daughter googa bubbas in a silly baby voice and eventually she just became bubbas. She's 12 now and thouroughly relieved that we now just call her plain 'ol Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I feel about nicknames. I have one, it's "Thorney" which a younger sister gave me when we were very young and hugged me and announced I felt thorny like a rose bush. Being that Dad had a beautiful rose garden he thought tha a good nickname for one of us girls. I went through life as Thorney and tried to drop when I went to college, and got married, etc., but it never goes away.

    My oldest son, is Dylan. We call him Denny and he is now about to turn 30 and we still call him Denny.

    My daughter is Bubba. There is a story in there--I may have to blog about that one.

    ReplyDelete