Sunday, February 7, 2010

One Simple Act

My mom gave me a book for Christmas. I'm finally making time to read it. It's called "One Simple Act - Discovering the Power of Generosity" by Debbie Macomber. I like it.

It's about how little things we do, the key word being "little" or "simple" can make big differences in other people's lives. And how when we do these little things, we somehow feel better ourselves. Luke 6:38 is referenced, it says, "Give, and it will be given to you. . ." I looked up "give" in the Bible dictionary and there were a page and a half of references, so it's gotta be a good thing.

Recently my 9 year old daughter, Muckus, decided to perform one simple act for me. Laundry. I didn't ask her to, she just started doing it. She'll throw a load in when she wakes up, move it to the dryer before she leaves for school, then fold it and put it away when she gets home from school. It's a small act that's a huge life saver for me. We now have socks, towels and baseball uniforms when we need them.

So I'm trying to negotiate that one simple act I can do each day that will help to lighten someone's load. And if along the way I inspire my other three kids to do simple acts like washing dishes and cleaning bathrooms, well that will just be a bonus now won't it!

1 comment:

  1. True confession time I met Debbie and I am in that book. I love that book and not just because she used several of my life experiences in it. I just felt so good while I read it and when I was done I wanted to give it to everyone I knew ...but I didn't because I didn't want them to think I was giving it to them because I am in it...whew thanks for letting me share that with you. I have been wanting to talk to someone who has read the book . I would love to know what you think about it when you get done.

    ReplyDelete