Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Life Lessons

Funny how you learn life lessons in the darnedest ways. I learned one just yesterday, and here's how it happened. . .

You see each morning I give thanks for a new day. I also give thanks for a peaceful nights rest. Though my children are growing up, memories of waking up in the night to soothe small children are not too far in the rear view mirror. But night before last, my 12 year old son woke up at 3:16 AM with growing pains in his legs. The pain seemed so severe I wondered if his back brace was cutting off circulation to his legs or perhaps pinching a nerve.

I made him comfortable on the couch next to my bed, administered children's Motrin, heated up rice bags for his legs, then snuggled him and stroked his face til he was comfortable enough to fall back to sleep. In doing so, my heart was swollen with love for the little guy I am privileged to call son. I felt a sense of gladness that I could be there to comfort him, and not working the midnight shift at Del Taco. I felt lucky to be a mother. I felt blessed with health and strength, his and mine. And while these emotions surged through me, I thought how funny it was that I gave thanks each morning for NOT having these kind of experiences. I realized how experiences that are difficult are the ones that help us grow the most.

The life lesson I learned yesterday? Embrace life no matter the situation or hour of the day.

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree! I went from being single to married mother of 4 within 2 years. 2 step kids and 2 adopted daughters with special needs. I missed the baby years and always wondered if I would regret not getting to bond with my kids via late night feedings. My oldest, age 21 now is medically fragile. Each night that I stay up until 2am with her I have to remind myself that THIS is what God called me to do and it's a privilege to love her and take care of her. Yes, I miss sleep and make up is expensive to cover up the bags under my eyes, but I wouldn't have it any other way. BTW, love your blog. Moms like you give me the courage to keep on trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reminder. I am also thankful for an uninteruppted nights sleep which happens most of the time. I'll have to be on the lookout for Life Lessons when bad dreams and ear aches creep up on us. It is good to always look on the positive of what you are supposed to learn from hard things.
    Love your blog by the way and thanks for the heads up on Bountiful Baskets, they have it here in Idaho and we are eating so much good food this week, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suze,
    What a reminder. I loved your description of loving Jameson, at 12, the way you most likely loved him and snuggled him at 2. We're all kids when it comes down to needing that kind of love, aren't we?
    Thanks again. I've really enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are SO right...that is the GOOD stuff! You make me want to go and squeeze my kids right now. Too bad they are at school. Thanks for the reminder today...hope you have a great one!

    ReplyDelete