Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Tradition

Lots of comments have been made about “The Clark Family” and what a great family it is. Well I’m here to say - that’s exactly right and I’ll tell you why. . .TRADITION. Tradition just so happens to be one of the reasons why the Clark family is happy bunch. Let me expound.
A few of my favorite Clark Family traditions are the water fight after the 4th of July parade (though I like to avoid the water myself) and the 4th of July Gala where all adults gather together for a lovely meal and celebrate our freedom. Awards are given to family members who showed extreme courage throughout the year. I think I know which Clark family member will be getting the award next year.
There’s also the Labor Day river run where we rent rafts and make our way down Provo river - the kids LOVE it!
A “turkey bowl” on Thanksgiving morning where every man becomes a kid again throwing the pigskin around and a few kids end up in tears, followed by-bowling that evening (to make up for the tears) after a fantastic turkey dinner.
Grandpa’s tailgate parties on Cougar game days are unmatched when it comes to food and fun. Each pre-game meal includes a to-die-for roast along with cold soda, chips, cottage cheese and pickles. Everyone wears Cougar blue - eats to their hearts content - then walks to and from the games together talking about life and sharing in the excitement of the game.
Halloween night is another favorite where we all end up at Umi and Grandpa’s house after trick-or-treat and show off costumes to each other.
I could go on and on about late night lift rides at Sundance, weekly Monday family nights, pumpkin patch parties at Lucy and Rics, Christmas gifts of service to one another, Clark Family ski day, and on and on and on.
The pattern I’ve noticed is: family togetherness (and maybe really good food). When you’re making memories together during the good times, it’s easy to jump in and help each other out during the rough times. I just so happened to be at Umi’s house when we got word of Stephanie's accident. It wasn’t long before each brother and sister came offering love and support to one another. Prayers were offered and hope for the future was found - no matter the outcome. Because we have often gathered together to celebrate the joy in life, it is second nature to gather together when one of our own faces a challenge. We are there for the moves, the illnesses, the heartache and disappointment. We help carry each other’s burdens and celebrate each other’s triumphs. I guess when I think about it, tradition is just another word for love.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! Thanks for putting into words what I feel about my own family :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am one of those that always says the Clark's are a great family. I love nothing more than being with my 5 sisters and their families. Traditions are a part of being family.

    This was a beautiful post--thank you for sharing.
    --Mari

    ReplyDelete