Friday, February 26, 2010

A+

Toy Story (Two-Disc Special Edition Blu-ray/DVD Combo w/ Blu-ray Packaging)
 Last night we went to the high school to see a basketball game and see my daughter dance at the half.  While there we ran into a boy with autism whom my son had had the opportunity of working with last year.  He speaks minimally and often only speaks using lines from Disney movies.  He was at the game with his mom and we were fortunate to sit next to them.

 I introduced myself as Alex's mom.  When I did, she said how much her son liked Alex and how her son would love the opportunity to say hello to him.  I quickly ran into the student section and fished my son out from among the crowd.  He followed me up to the top bench where we were sitting.  When this darling young man saw my son coming up the stands he threw his arms in the air as if he were signaling "touchdown."  His excitement was clear as Alex asked him Disney related questions.  His mom then confided that her son had said that Alex was his best friend.  Kinda like Buzz and Woody I guess.

My husband and I have always told our children that treating others with kindness at school is just as important as getting good grades, maybe even more important.  Last night I was more proud of my son for getting an A+ in kindness than I was of his straight A report card.

And, I might add, my daughter got an A+ (from me) for her funky hip hop dance!

5 comments:

  1. A bit of fragrence always clings to the hand that gives roses - Chinese Proverb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!!! It is such a great feeling as a mom to see that our kids are actually doing what we are teaching them!
    A family in our neighborhood has a son with autism, and the mom has told me a couple of times how much she appreciates it that my daughter talks to him and is nice to him. I of course would expect nothing else from my kids, but it is nice to know that she is doing it because it comes from her heart, and not because I expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't tell you how touching this post is to me. I am a Mom to my wonderful twelve year old son who happens to have autism. I can tell you that your son has done more for that boys family than he will ever know, you should be very proud of him and yourselves for raising such an honorable young man.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suz,
    I think there is nothing more important than what you wrote about on this post. I loved it so much. I can't think of anything that I want for my kids than for them to be the kind of people that are known as kind, good people. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete