Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ugly

Have you ever had an ugly day?  I had one yesterday.  It started out ugly because I'm feeling lousy.  Some sort of nausea with abdominal pain has settled in and no, I'm not pregnant.  Because of the abdominal discomfort I chose not to squeeze into my Seven jeans, but to wear comfortable jeans that are not very flattering.  And I wanted to wear flip flops but it's not THAT warm yet so I put on my brown winter shoes.  My hair was frizzy. Also, my face is sunburned and looks like I'm still wearing my sunglasses because I spent three straight days watching baseball in the sun this past weekend.

Half way through the day I decided to fight back.  I felt I could negotiate with ugly.  I changed from my comfortable jeans into Sevens.  I figured counter pressure on my abdomen might be helpful?  I dug out my flip flops and kicked my brown winter shoes back into the closet.  I had a Coke gosh darn it.  I told myself the cola would be good for my stomach, but mostly knew I was looking for an emotional fix.  It didn't disappoint.

I put my smile on because if you have a Coke, you have to have a smile too.  I reached out to others at work and tried to be more helpful than I felt I wanted to be.  I came home and did what needed to be done without complaint.  Well, with few complaints as possible.  Then suddenly, ugly was gone . . . and it had left a pretty good day in it's place.      

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes comfy counts and for me that means Yoga pants and Uggs. It's still too cold out here in Seattle for flip-flops (aka thongs as we called them in SoCal).

    When I need to forgo the expensive designer jeans and just be cozy I oull out my Levi's, my favorite barn jeans. Levi's look good on any body type.

    I love your hair.

    --Mari

    ReplyDelete