Monday, February 22, 2010

All Grown Up

Early last week my oldest son got an email from BYU informing him that he would soon know his fate regarding his admission.  He was warned in the same email that they would be turning down a record number of applicants this year.  We waited eagerly.  Mid week he got another email instructing him to click on an attached link where he would find out if he would be heading 300 miles north this Fall.

Drum roll please.  Accepted!  Alex will now call Cougar Town home once again.  We are thrilled.  I even thought about doing a couple of cartwheels, but since I'll be 40 in just a few months, I opted for a fist pump and a few tears.

The next day he turned 18 just to seal the whole grown up deal.  In order to congratulate him we drove the family south to Sin City.  You'll be relived to know we returned with honor later that same night, only much more satisfied.  We thoroughly enjoyed dinner at Planet Hollywood's Spice Market Buffet and loved warm weather while watching the Bellagio fountains.  Alex returned home with these Nike shoes and a sweet Nike warm up jacket.   

Normally my sentimentality would be oozing out my eyes right about now.  I guess I already mourned the loss of my son when his senior year started.  I know the hourglass has been turned over, I've come to terms with it.  As I watched him tie his own tie yesterday, I realized the reason I'll miss him so much is because I'll miss sharing his life experiences with him.  I'll also miss the opportunity to care for him, i.e. blowing on his Quaker oats and starting his car for him on cold mornings.  Good news is, I also realized that he's just on loan to me from a loving Heavenly Father who is able to care for him constantly in all situations better than I ever could.  This gives great comfort to a mother whose son is all grown up, but she still feels like he is her little boy.

Just a post script. . .Alex has started a blog of his own.  You're welcome to see just how witty my boy is by clicking here.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your son!

    I so remember waiting for the big envelope to arrive when my kids were waiting for acceptance letters (they got into their first choice schools and all graduated now.)

    You have many memories coming of spending time with him at BYU. Have a grand time being the mom of a college boy/man.

    --Mari

    ReplyDelete