Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Lessons in Communication

The Simpsons - The Complete Eighth Season

Everything I need to know in life I learned from The Simpsons.  Just kidding.  But I did learn a great lesson in communication from a scene where Marge is going out of town and she's giving Homer some instructions.

Marge:  Now the cat needs his medication. . .
Homer:  No problem.
Marge:  Every morning.  And the furnace. . .
Homer:  Can do.
Marge:  has been putting off. . .
Homer:  Right.
Marge:  a lot of carbon monoxide.
Homer:  Uh-huh.
Marge:  So keep the window open.
Homer:  Gotcha - cat in the furnace!

I learned that very often certain people, like my husband and kids for example, cannot absorb the amount of information I feel it is necessary to give.  Since we're all familiar with this Simpson episode (which happens to be called Bart After Dark from Season 8 if you're interested) I now preface my instructions to the family by saying:  "I'm about to give you a lot of "cat in the furnace" information - so listen up."  This cue helps them pay close attention to detail as I outline further direction.  I've also found it helpful to have them repeat back to me important parts of the instruction.  The most important lesson I learned from this Simpson scene is that I should only give pertinent information, as all else will most likely be forgotten. 

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! I will have to use that!
    -Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  2. the past two posts have been great!!! keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to write things down and include every single detail or else nothing will get done the way I want! Sad but true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent point!
    Since I don't watch the Simpson's I'm glad I get to benefit vicariously from you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Writing down works as long as they read it. LOL

    ReplyDelete