Tuesday, February 23, 2010

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

I had the opportunity to home school my kids, twice.  The first time was when we moved to Danville, CA where there are class size restrictions.  My choice was to bus my kids to the next city for school, or home school.  We chose home school and had a blast.  The second time was last year when my youngest child was in third grade.  She came home each afternoon with new information regarding the male and female anatomy, as well as tips on procreation.  That definitely called for home school!  I respect parents who home school.

Thankfully all my kids are currently in public school.  I say "thankfully" because quite honestly I'm just not capable of teaching them all they need to know, especially when it comes to numbers.  I would love to home school my kids if I felt I were up to the task, but alas it's just not in the cards.  I respect good teachers who encourage my children and give them information they need to be successful in life.  But here's the thing, some teachers are not so good.

We're lucky to have only had a handful of teachers who seriously should be removed from their profession.  One was a math teacher who told my daughter he didn't make enough money to give her the information she needed so she would have to find it on her own.  Another is a teacher who felt it necessary to call the kids "donkeys" and yell at them to "shut up." When my son transferred out of this class he said to me, "It feels great to be respected again."  And isn't that what we all want (and deserve), a little respect?

3 comments:

  1. Hi!! It's Mrs. Vallejo from 2nd grade at Wasatch! I found your blog through Courtney's....it's good to "see" you guys again! Be sure to tell Maggie I say "HI!". Sorry to hear her 3rd grade experience was not that great! (And I hope I'm not in the awful teacher section...lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Vallejo! HI! You were a wonderful teacher for Maggie and, I might add, someone I respect. Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the Geometry teacher at PHS (Mr O.) recognized me from Algebra the year before and his first words to me were "I remember you, have a failed you before?" In front of the entire class. Not a great teacher.... Not surprisingly I hated math.

    ReplyDelete