Monday, March 1, 2010

The Way I See It

Temple Grandin

Every once in a while I see a movie that merits my recommendation.  My favorite movies are true stories that encourage, uplift or share an important message.  This past weekend I was lucky enough to see such a movie.  The movie is one made for HBO called "Temple Grandin."

Now we don't have HBO so it is very fortunate that I sat waiting in our hotel room for my husband while he spoke at the Nike Coach of the Year Football Clinic in Vegas.  I was flipping through channels when suddenly I became captivated by the amazing story of Temple Grandin, a woman with autism who has been extremely successful in life.  While watching I laughed, cried, and beamed as she triumphed over challenges.

I'm of the opinion that things in life happen for a reason.  Lives are touched.  Lessons are learned.  Opportunity knocks and doors are opened, or perhaps closed.  So I found it interesting that I posted about a charming young man with autism on Friday and was then inspired by a brave woman with autism on Saturday.  I've been thinking a lot lately about returning to school to finish my degree in special education.  Maybe someone is trying to tell me something.

In the meantime, I plan to read this book.  The Way I See It: A Personal Look at Autism and Asperger's

4 comments:

  1. I recently saw the movie too and loved it. Hats off to Claire Danes, I thought she was wonderful. I watched it with my 12 year old daughter. This inspiring story helped me talk to her about acceptance, tolerance and how different can really be SPECIAL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I enjoy your blog very much (cyber-introduced to you by cjane). As a retired teacher, I just want to say that you would be a FANTASTIC special ed teacher!

    Sharon (posting anon because comments woldn't accept my name/url)

    ReplyDelete
  3. make that "wouldn't" not woldn't!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why thank you for your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete