Monday, March 8, 2010

Happy Birthday

Happy Birthday to You!
When I decided to blog last Fall my husband said, "Go for it, but keep me out of it."  I've believe I've complied with his request, though I did post about puckering his pants.  And today is his birthday, so I'd like to wish him a Happy Birthday by sharing with you the words of my favorite birthday song.  I learned it from Mrs. Ord, a first grade teacher, when I worked as her aide.  She sang it to each first grader on their birthday and I loved it.  I now take the liberty of singing it to anyone and everyone on their birthday, much to the chagrin of my children.  I thought about singing it for you here in a very C Jane-ish sort of way, but my courage is not as great as hers so the words will have to suffice. 

Happy Birthday, Happy, Happy Birthday!
This is your day, so have a lot of fun (boom boom boom).
We're all waitin' for your celebration, for your celebration to begin SO
Blow out the candles on your cake and make a wish.
Serve everybody's favorite dish, favorite dish (boom boom boom).
Happy Birthday, Happy, Happy Birthday!
This is your day, so Happy Birthday to you!

10 comments:

  1. My favorite birthday song was sung by my son's pre-school teacher. It's the one that goes
    "on the day that (insert name) was born
    repeat
    repeat
    the angels came and they blew on their horns
    and they danced
    and they sang
    and they raised up their arms
    on the day that (insert name) was born.


    It's the sweetest song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just happen to be the facilitator at Wasatch School, and I knew exactly who you were talking about when you mentioned Mrs. Ord. The next time I saw her, I asked here to sing me her special birthday song. I told her about your blog post and made a copy of it for her. She was thrilled, but said she is always surprised when someone remembers something like that!! You made her day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you told Mrs. Ord how much I love her song (and her). THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that birthday song originated at BYU's Alumni Family Camp, Aspen Grove. I learned it there as a child, sang it every family party, and sang it a million more times the two summers I worked there as a camp counselor. Great song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did! I found it is similar to a happy birthday polka.

      Delete
  5. The song was Heck Harper's happy birthday song on his kid's TV show in Portland, OR in the 1950's.
    http://kptv.comuf.com/programs/corral.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although the wording was a little different.

      Delete
    2. In fact: https://youtu.be/h5AK1onctHY

      Delete
  6. You've all given us a great gift. My family has sung this song at every birthday for my entire life, and my mother's before me. I was trying to find the actual lyrics and the song - and this is where I found it! Thanks so much, everyone is loving the video, as it is being passed around like wildfire right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I,too, have been looking for this! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete