Thursday, March 4, 2010

DOs and DONTs (In My Opinion)

I've been around the block a few times.  Sometimes the trip was long and arduous, painful even.  Sometimes the trip was fantastically beautiful, thrilling even.  Thus, I'd like to share a few DOs and DONTs that have made the negotiation of my life a little easier.

DON'T pay for school pictures.  You are much more capable of taking a cute picture of your child.
DO buy a class picture.

DON'T buy pictures of your child's soccer team either.
DO get them to kneel by the ball and take your own.

DON'T show up at the high school to surprise your child for lunch (lesson learned the hard way).
DO show up at the elementary school with a Happy Meal and surprise your child for lunch.

DON'T sign up to help out with everything.
DO volunteer when you can.

DON'T feel like a shower is imperative.
DO take naps with your babies.

DON'T let your child disrespect you.
DO teach your child to respect authority.

DON'T be afraid to trust your child.  If they say their teacher is nuts, they could be right.
DO get both sides of the story.

DON'T overschedule.
DO make time to play with your kids.

DON'T be too busy to go to your kids games and activities.
DO make your husband a priority. 

DON'T say I didn't warn you.
DO make the most of life, as it is quickly passing us by.

5 comments:

  1. Great advice! You gave me that advice about pictures years ago and I'm so glad you did! It has served me well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! So right about the pictures! To that I would add: DON'T buy a yearbook every year! If I could go back, I would only buy it the last year of elementary, middle and high school... and that is pushing it!

    I love the one about not signing up to help with everything! Great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so with you on the sports team photos and school photos. I've got drawers full of ugly school/sports pictures that are just collecting dust.

    This year I finally figured out the not signing up to help with everything secret and, oh, what a great joy that is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzanne, I am not even sure how I came across your blog but so glad that I did. I just got back from Utah (my dad passed away on Jan. 8,2010) and am helping my mom sort through stuff. I found so many pictures, programs, etc. of our little 13th ward group. What a great childhood.

    Your blog is so fun to read. You are such a great writer and mom.

    We have a blog obrienmob.blogspot.com if you want to check it out. It's mostly pictures for my mom and mother-in-law to "keep in touch."

    Again, I'm so glad I found you.
    Love, Vicki Thompson O'Brien

    ReplyDelete