Thursday, March 18, 2010

PPI

I began blogging to share with you my tips to negotiating life, so here is a tip for you. . .have PPIs with your children and spouse. 

If you're unaware of what a PPI is, well then I'll tell you it's a Personal Progress Interview.  My husband and I like to interview our kids the first week of each month.  We invite them into our room solo.  It's them and us and it's great to put them in the middle and start asking all kinds of embarrassing questions.  Kidding.  It's great to start by telling them how proud you are of them and what a great job they're doing at negotiating life.  Then it's important to ask if there is anything bothering them or if they'd like to share concerns with you.  Often times they'll share things with you that they may not have approached you with, but since you are asking - they are telling and it's a beautiful thing. 

I believe starting this PPI habit while your kids are young is most helpful.  If you've been having talks with them regularly since kindergarten, they'll be more likely to share their high school experiences with you.  My kids actually love this PPI.  They'll think up anything just to keep talking to us and keep the next kid waiting for their turn.  They feel special when you give them individual attention.  It's definitely a win/win situation and something you and your spouse could benefit from as well.  Communication is key in negotiating successful relationships. 

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. We also do PPIs. We are not as consistent as you though. Time to re-commit! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We call it "questions concerns and comments" and the kids love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I do not yet have children, but we do have "monthly marriage meetings" - our chance to review finances (calmly), reflect on the previous month, prepare for the coming month, and get out anything else that needs to be said. Oh, and I also followed the cue from the husband in the book, "The Wednesday Letters," and write my husband a quick note every Wednesday. He loves them. We just reviewed all of them on our one year wedding anniversary. Yours is a great idea for doing something similar with children!

    ReplyDelete